Have you ever seen the show Renovation Realities on the DIY Network?
You know, the show where they follow real-life homeowners as they try and DIY a major project in their own home and everything seems to go wrong.
We totally should have been on that show for this project.
We are typically a pretty handy couple and have tackled tons of DIY projects over the years, but for this project, we were over budget, it took way longer than we thought, and almost everything went wrong.
Luckily we are thrilled with the final result!
We started out by adding new, simple baseboard trim, installed beadboard planks to the bottom half of the walls, and topped it off with a chair rail.
This was the hardest park of the project because it required removing the pedestal sink and the toilet plumbing. We hit a major snag when we forgot to turn the main water valve off in the garage and ended up causing a big ol’ flood. We spent days drying out the hardwood flooring, which is now slightly warped, and had to hire a plumber to come fix the leak we created. What a nightmare!
But it sure turned out pretty!
To add a little more interest to the tiny room, we also clad the ceiling with wide tongue and groove planks that I painted with a semi-gloss to reflect light in Benjamin Moore’s November Rain.
To finish off the ceiling planks, we tried to add crown molding ourselves, which proved to be WAY harder than we thought. There are a ton of weird angles in this room and we could not get any of our corners to line up correctly. We ended up wasting quite a few pieces of crown molding before we gave up and hired a contractor to come do it for us.
We are so glad we hired help because it looks way better than what we would have done!
Next, we put up grasscloth wallpaper, which I am absolutely in love with!
I was terrified to attempt wallpaper myself, having never done it before, so I watched tons of YouTube videos on wallpapering and asked several professionals for their advice before I started.
Then I procrastinated and procrastinated because I was scared I was going to screw it up. Grasscloth wallpaper doesn’t come cheap!
But I finally bit the bullet and did it.
And it wasn’t as bad as I had built it up to be in my head, except for the fact that I ran out of wallpaper 3/4 of the way around the room. So the wallpapering came to a halt when I had to order more and wait 3 weeks for it to come in. Ugh.
In the end, I would say it was tedious and required a lot of patience, but wallpapering was totally worth the effort.
We ended up having to buy a new mirror because there was no way to attach our old one over the top of the new chair rail. We went with a pivoting mirror because its brackets hold the mirror out over the chair rail.
The thing I was most excited about replacing in our bathroom was the light fixture. I absolutely hated the one that the builder installed.
I spent weeks looking for just the right one. I wanted something simple and timeless in an oil-rubbed bronze finish to match all of our other fixtures. I ended up finding the perfect one at Restoration Hardware.
While I love all of the big changes we made to the space, I think the accessories are what really gives the room its’ personality.
I still want to add some shelves to the other side of the bathroom, above the toilet.
But that’s another project for another day.
And because I love a good before and after photo, here’s the transformation…
Stay tuned for an upcoming post with tips on how to wallpaper with grasscloth!
Light Fixture: Restoration Hardware
Grasscloth Wallpaper: Sherwin Williams
Beadboard: Home Depot
Hand Towel: Home Goods
Gray Foot Stool: Circle Creek Home
Teal Ceramic Stool: TJMaxx
Birch pot with plant: Pot and faux plant from Ikea with real birch bark glued onto pot
Soap Dispenser: Joyworks in Snohomish, WA
Plug-in Scented Warmer: Scentsy